Mountain to the Sea - Waka Ama and Cultural Walk Experience
Whenua - Moana - Tangata
Land - Ocean - People
Allow us to facilitate your connection to our land, our ocean and our people.
Our way of life.
A unique opportunity to experience Waka Ama (outrigger canoe) and a cultural walk of our mountain, Mauao, guided by tangata whenua (people of the land) who share stories handed down through the generations.
Mountain to the Sea - Waka and Walk Experience - 4 hours
FEE: $255.00 adult - $195 child
INCLUDES: Waka ama experience, guided walk of Mauao, all equipment needed and catered lunch pack.
- Unique waka ama canoe experience in the stunning Pilot Bay.
- Cultural walk of Mauao guided by local Māori visiting ancestral sites.
- "Taste of Tauranga" sampler and lunch pack from a prominent seafood provider.
- All equipment and instruction provided.
Cultural Walk of Mauao - 2 hours
FEE: $75.00 adult - $35 child
INCLUDES: Guided cultural walk of Mauao.
- Hear the history and stories of Tauranga Moana by a local Māori guide.
- Breathe in the scenery that gives Mauao its reputation of being the most walked track in New Zealand.
- Meet significant cultural sights and witness the work local tribes have achieved to rehabilitate the mountain.
- Optional "Taste of Tauranga" sampler and lunch pack - $25pp
Catered Packed Lunch - Taste of Tauranga
Seasonal lunch pack, samples of seafood and native plant-based recipes, selection of beverages. Dietary options available.
- Meet at the Port of Tauranga Cruise Ship Gates, or at the base of Mauao, Pilot Bay.
- Child rates apply to age 8yrs to 15yrs.
- Moderate level of fitness required.
- Bring walking shoes, a towel, hat, jacket, sun protection, water bottle.
- Undulating gravel walking track.
- Groups of 12 or more may be split into two groups. A group activity is either Waka Ama or Mauao Walk. When we have two groups, one will start with waka ama and the other with the walk, then swap activities after one hour.
- Optional to bring swimwear.
Collected from Port of Tauranga gates, approx. 5 minute walk to start point.
0:00 hrs Welcome, prepare, karakia (prayer)
0:30 hrs First group activity
1:30 hrs Transition
1:45 hrs Second group activity
2:45 hrs Reset
3:00 hrs Kai (food), waiata (songs), poroporoaki (farewell)
3:30 hrs Return to base, closing karakia (prayer)
4:00 hrs Finish
Collected from Port of Tauranga gates, approx. 10 minute walk to start point.
0:00 hrs Welcome, karakia (prayer)
0:15 hrs Mauao walk
1:45 hrs Closing karakia (prayer)
2:00 hrs Finish